The development of a protocol for diagnosing hand dermatitis images

Parsons, Vaughan and Williams, Hywel C. and English, John and Llewellyn, Joanne and Ntani, Georgia and Madan, Ira (2018) The development of a protocol for diagnosing hand dermatitis images. Contact Dermatitis . ISSN 1600-0536

Full text not available from this repository.

Abstract

Background: A hand photography protocol was needed to ascertain the presence and severity of dermatitis in a trial testing the effectiveness of a behaviour change intervention to prevent hand dermatitis in nurses.

Methods: We developed the protocol in 3 stages: (1) we established a procedure for collecting hand photographs; (2) we conducted a stepwise validation process to agree rules for diagnosing and determining the severity of hand dermatitis; and (3) we trained a research nurse to screen out “clear” cases.

Results: We developed and trained fieldworkers (n = 97) in a procedure for collecting hand photographs. Study dermatologists established interpretation rules to diagnose and determine the severity of dermatitis from photographs. Prior to the establishment of the rules, interobserver agreement between the 2 dermatologists on the presence or absence of hand dermatitis was moderate (κ = 0.5). At the final stage of the validation process, the dermatologists agreed on 88% cases from independent assessments, with consensus being reached for the remaining 12% following joint deliberation. Following training, a subgroup analysis of 250 cases screened by the nurse and characterized as “clear” found that 2 (0.8%) “positive” cases were missed.

Conclusion: We have developed a hand photography protocol that may be used in other studies or in hand dermatitis health surveillance programmes.

Item Type: Article
RIS ID: https://nottingham-repository.worktribe.com/output/944586
Additional Information: This is the pre-peer reviewed version of the following article, which has been published in final form athttps://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/cod.13053. This article may be used for non-commercial purposes in accordance with Wiley Terms and Conditions for Use of Self-Archived Versions.
Schools/Departments: University of Nottingham, UK > Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences > School of Medicine
Identification Number: https://doi.org/10.1111/cod.13053
Depositing User: Eprints, Support
Date Deposited: 24 May 2018 14:22
Last Modified: 04 May 2020 19:44
URI: http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/id/eprint/52010

Actions (Archive Staff Only)

Edit View Edit View